Mundie Moms

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Shadowhunters TV Series: Episode 3: Dead Man's Party / Review



We're now three weeks into the Shadowhunters TV series. This week's episode, Dead Man's Party, has all three of us sharing our thoughts on what we watched. This week's review is a little bit different than my previous reviews of the series, which you can read here, and here. This week our snark, and say it how it is attitudes, may be much more present than normal. We'd love to know what you thought of this week's Shadowhunters episode. Please feel free to share your thoughts below in the comments.




Katie's Thoughts


 I don't even know what I just watched, but it wasn't good, and I wish I could unsee most, if not all of it. Forget about the descent to hell, this week it was more like the descent into every one's pants. What was with the sex scenes/sensual scenes?! Yes, I have issues with the characters using sex to get what they want. Those scenes weren't just over the top, they were completely unnecessary. The everyone seducing everyone took away from the intelligence of the characters. They don't use seduction to get what they want. I'm a little miffed that the crucial seen between Jace & Clary in the greenhouse got cut from the TV series, and in it's place we get an episode full of sex and some troubling sexual seduction.


Let's talk about the scene with Jace watching Brad the vampire groping Clary. This entire scene was horrible, and completely uncharacteristic of Jace. Jace actually respects Clary, and women. He would never use Clary to get something he wanted. The fact that he allowed Brad to grope her, and use her in the manner he did to the vampire's motorcycle, was disgusting. Then there's the Izzy and Meliorn scene. They could have kept with the scene from the book, and it would have been just fine. I didn't need to see the unnecessary sex scene between them. The scene with Camille and Simon was, I don't even know what the heck that was, but it was a waste of air time. I couldn't help but laugh at the horrible, "Don't worry, my little caramel...." line. Wow.... I couldn't even take these vampires serious, and in the book they're a bit terrifying. 


Ed Decter has totally lost me with this episode. I have held out hope with the series, but after this disastrous episode, I'm not so sure. Thankfully the acting outshines the horrible script writing. The were a couple good things from this episode, like Simon and Alec. They continue to be my favorite characters. I love the way Alberto and Matthew bring their two characters to life. They are completely believable in the way they deliver their lines, down to their mannerisms. I also liked getting a very small glimpse of book Jace. I liked getting to see more of Izzy and Alec together, and I liked the end (and not just because the episode was finally over) with Simon and Clary. The scene between them summed up their relationship; Clary has always loved Simon as a best friend, and Simon has always loved Clary more than a friend. 


I wish I could say I'm hopeful about next week's episode, but I'm still trying to process what I just watched this week. One things for sure, I wasn't a fan, I'm not even sure I'll continue watching the series.



S
ophie's Thoughts


This episode should've been called "There is a Downworlder in My Pants". Everyone seduces everyone in the name of discovering secrets. Meliorn and Izzy were an unnecessary sexy aside.  Seelies can't lie and some things I can't unsee. 


Speaking of that, Camille comparing Simon to chocolates. "Don't worry, my little caramel...". That line has got to be one of the cheesiest vampire lines I have ever heard. It's almost as bad as "you're my own, personal brand of heroin" from that other poorly scripted (albeit much loved movie). Also, I didn't know vampires can stop time (for a well placed info dump)?!?!

The things I liked outweigh the badly acted, sexy asides.  I continue to love Alec. He is that voice of reason that was portrayed in the book. I adore his "this is a bad idea" moments. Matthew delivers them so believably. Simon. I love him, too, and Alberto brings him to life in such a sweet,  bumbly way.  He's so much like BookSimon. And before I forget, JACE ON A MOTORCYCLE! That's always fun to watch. The last scene with Clary and Simon was pretty book-perfect. Their relationship as well as Jace and Alec's is pretty well done. I think the chemistry between the actors overrides the badly written script.

Will I keep watching? Sure, for now.



Emmaly's Thoughts


This episode was very dialogue heavy, as my husband said as he walked in around the graveyard scene, "they just talk all the time, when are they going to do something" I also think the sex (or what your saw of them) scenes were unnecessary. Surely Izzy could have had that conversation with Meliorn with out it being so much about the sexy times. That along side the Camille and Simon scenes were a little over the top. But again the main cast were awesome. I think I saw the real Jace I know and love from the book tonight, when he is fighting with Alec and looking at Clary on the roof.  And Simon oh Simon was just like the book. The banter between the main cast will defiantly keep me watching.




Tune in! Shadowhunters airs on Tuesday nights at 9/8 pm CST on Freeform. *All image's found here and here, and are property of ShadowhuntersTV.com.

17 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the three of you. A lot of unnecessary scenes. Too much sex. A lot of love for Matthew and Alberto's depictions of Alec and Simon.

    First, I really felt confused about the vampires. They should not be able to stop time. Their depiction here is a bit grotesque, they made me smile and I thought throughout the episode "God do they look like every vampire cliché ever depicted on TV." Like Katie said, they should look frightening. Book Camille seemed more mysterious, with a charisma resulting from the fact that she is ancient. She seemed classy.
    Something else bugged me : Izzy has a smartphone. I know it seems like a minor detail...but the gap between the two worlds doesn't strike me as much as it did in the books. I made my peace with the TV series' depiction of the inside of the Institute, if only it had stoped at that. Now Izzy has a smartphone, so how can shadowhunters not be aware of the mundane world?

    Now for the good parts : I really, really love Simon and Alec. Their scenes are perfect. Matthew and Alberto perfectly captured the essence of the book characters and deliver their lines the way I've always imagined Alec and Simon would speak. There was a bit of book Jace. Jace and Clary's chemistry is slowly building up, and Simon and Clary's is clearly there.

    Conclusion : I know that they need to install the elements of the world Cassandra Clare created, but it felt like too much information dropped on the viewers. If it barely felt digest for us who read the books, I can't imagine how difficult it must be for a newbie. This results in a difficulty to get attached to most characters (appart from Alec and Simon).
    I felt really disappointed after the episode. Let's hope that next episode will be better - Magnus is coming, and I have a feeling Harry is going to be like Matthew and Alberto, very true to the book version of the character he is playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they cast Albert and Matthew for Alec and Simon. They have totally brought the book characters to life perfectly. I love these two characters. Like you, I liked seeing a bit of book Jace, and a bit of Jace and Clary's chemistry.

      I can not wait to see Magnus. That alone would be the only reason why I'd watch next week, because I've totally lost interest in this series. This week's episode was horrid. I can't imagine seeing this series, having never read the books. I personally would be totally confused on what's going on.

      Yes to all that you've said about the vampires. They were really bad with the cliches. Last week I mentioned the technology, and it not fitting into the Shadowhunter world. The writers have failed to incorporate it correctly into the Shadowhunter world. Either they have technology, and with it some what of an understanding of the Mundane world, or they don't have and have no clue about the Mundane world. They can't have it both ways. Since they protect Mundanes, I would except them to know something.

      Delete
  2. I haven't watched very much of this third episode yet, but after reading this, I'm super curious! I was surprised to suddenly hear about all the sex scenes, as up until now, it's been pretty tame. Looking forward to that caramel line, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on it. Those scenes... they were not what I was excepting at all. That chocolate line was one of the worst lines I've heard. It's worse than the line Edward used on Bella in Twilight.

      Delete
  3. Hardest thing to get through last night which the reviews detail is the over the top manipulations leveraging sexuality to achieve plot objectives. Lazy writing this week. Very positive for me was we got Jace in terms of what makes his character so compelling but the writing blew that up by his not reacting to the physical interactions Clary suffered at the hands of the Vamp. Hoping the writing improves next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You completely hit the nail on the head -- lazy writing.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree! The lazy writing ruined the entire episode.

      Delete
  4. I also thought the sex was over the top and totally not necessary. The whole episode was a disaster. I hope it gets better, but I'm not too sure. I don't know how I feel about Clary and Jace... I don't see the chemistry yet. But I'm hopeful.

    The vampires drove me crazy on that episode. It was just stupid. And Camille and Simon?? I get that the show isn't going to follow the books, but COME ON!

    Another thing that has bothered me a little is Hodge. I probably don't have to explain, but he is just not what I think Hodge should be. And that circle brand that burns? ugh.

    I love the actors playing Simon, Alec and Izzy. They are my favorites so far.

    I will still continue to watch, but I am not excited about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on all accounts, which makes me sad, because I was so excited for this. They're making the same mistake a lot of other adaptations make in straying too far from the source material.
      Camille (and the rest of the vamps except for Raphael)- I mean, c'mon. Seriously?! Just no, all kinds of no.
      Hodge- Couldn't agree more. Hodge isn't supposed to be this super fit, hot teacher. He's like the wise old Professor.
      Alec and Simon- pure perfection.
      Izzy- my favorite from the books, and so far I think Emeraude is doing a pretty good job, but she could still be more Izzy like. Less bravado and a little more vulnerability.

      The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of chemistry between Clary and Jace (and that Jace isn't at all being properly portrayed). Hoping that improves, I got excited at the glimpse shown in Ep. 3.

      Still gonna watch, but unless they get closer to the books it'll probably turn into a show I watch for the heck of it, but will no longer be super stoked about each episode.

      Delete
    2. I kinda like the rune that burns, but it was a weird moment where Hodge got violent with Alec (smacking him on the neck)? That was a WTH moment for me.

      The actors are all good and their chemistry is exceptional give the badly written script.

      Delete
    3. Agreed with all you said. I love the cast, but like you, I'm missing the Jace and Clary chemistry, though there was a really small glimpse of it this week. Hodge is the same age of Jocelyn and Valentine, so I get his looks, but the rune burning him when he talks about Valentine bugs me as well.

      Delete
  5. I didn't even finish the episode & deleted it from my DVR. The good (Alec & Simon) doesn't outweigh the bad (mostly the terrible writing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm almost there, but not quite (re: quitting). It's nearly at the point of train wreck-can't-tear-my-eyes-away.

      Delete
    2. I ended up fast forwarding some of it, since I DVR'ed it, and then deleted it too.

      Delete
  6. I agree with all the reviews. I was so excited for the series to air. I adore the books (one of my top series), but the show is confusing. I do love Simon. Clary isn't Clary for me. I want so badly to see book Clary, but she's missing something for me. I can't seem to believe her as our beloved Clary. That being said, I did enjoy the rooftop scene between Simon and Clary. I'm warming up to Jace. I am seeing some of book Jace finally. The motorcycle scence with the vamp was awful. I, too, don't understand why they chose put so much sexual situations in the episode. Question though. Did Camille really ask Raphael if he had ever had shadowhunter blood? May be my memory is incorrect, but I thought it was something that occurred for the first time between Jace and Simon in the book? I'm going to keep watching to see if it gets better. Because...Magnus! If it doesn't, I don't think I can watch it any longer. I barely got through this episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with your thoughts as well! Clary is missing something for me. Simon and Alec are my favorites so far. Jace is slowly starting to become the Jace I was hoping for. I agree, the vampire scenes and the sex scenes were horrible! Yes, Camille did say that, and yes, I think it is something that occurs between Jace and Simon. I can't wait for Magnus!! He is the only reason why I will tune in next week, because of this week's episode, I am done with the series.

      Delete
  7. I don't know if you've watched Christine Riccio's (polandbananasBOOKS on Youtube) video reviewing the episode. But it pretty much sums up everything we've said here.

    She quotes lines from the episode, and talks about the really really poor writing...
    One sentence she says - and I agree - is :
    "Just take the dialogue out of the book. JUST TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOOK."
    She also expresses really well the awkwardness that I felt watching this episode.

    ReplyDelete

Labels